|Time||Ballroom A||Merle Hay||Des Moines||Other|
|Fri.||7pm||Opening ceremonies; TICC performance*|
|9pm||Hall Costume Contest (throughout the evening)|
|10pm||Dance and Pajama Party||Panel: Theme Decks in Magic: The Gathering™||Art Show Tour|
|11pm||Panel: Understanding the Court Cards|
|Sat.||10am||Panel: History & Moral Philosophy 101|
|11am||First Impressions: Algis Budrys*||Reading: Jay Andrews & friends|
|12pm||Reading: Algis Budrys*||Workshop: Casting Heads||Panel: Electronic & Web Publishing|
|1pm||Slide Show: The Art of Keith Berdak*||Reading: M. S. Murdock|
|2pm||Panel: Editing as a Teaching Tool||Workshop: Massage||Reading: Brooks Peck|
|3pm||Panel: Relevance of Classic SF*||Panel: Art in Other Genres||Panel: How To Get a Head Without Really Trying||Karate Demo & Workshop|
|4pm||Panel: SF Meeting of the Minds||Reading: Mickey Zucker Reichert|
|5pm||Guest of Honor Speeches*|
|11pm||Improv: Whose Con Is It Anyway?||Panel: Great Parties in F & SF|
|12am||Belly Dancing and Primal Drumming||Panel: Sexuality in Science Fiction|
|Sun.||11am||Panel: Privacy in an Electronic Age||Writers' Workshop|
|12pm||Win, Lose, or Draw*|
|1pm||Panel: Religion on Babylyon 5|
|3pm||*** CLOSE OF CONVENTION ***|
* Items marked with a star are highly recommended for first-time/novice convention-goers.
Other Function Areas: Hours of Operations
- Art Show (Urbandale Room, downstairs):
Friday: Artist check-in, Noon - 6 PM. Viewing hours, 2 PM - 6 PM.
Saturday: Artist check-in and viewing hours, 10 AM - 6 PM.
Sunday: Artist check-out, buyer pick-up, and viewing hours: 10 AM - 3 PM.
- Consuite (Rooms 511 non-smoking/505 smoking):
Opens 9 PM Friday, then open continuously through Sunday. May be temporarily closed if volunteer workers are unavailable.
- Dealers' Room (Ballroom C, main level):
Friday: Dealer check-in, 10 AM - 6 PM. Open to members, 2 PM - 6 PM.
Saturday: 10 AM - 6 PM.
Sunday: 10 AM - 3 PM.
- Filk/Sercon Room (Room 531; see page 16 in the program book):
Open continuously from 2 PM Friday through Noon Sunday. Discussions run from approx. 10 AM - 7 PM. Filking runs from approx. 7 PM - 10 AM.
NOTE: This schedule is current as of 26 April 1996. Program event times, locations, and participants subject to change. Last-minute changes known prior to the start of the convention will be announced at the Opening Ceremonies (7 PM Friday, Main Programming). Scheduling changes made while the convention is in progress will be posted in appropriate locations.
Program Event Descriptions
- * Opening Ceremonies, Ballroom A. See important people, hear important stuff, laugh at Rusty's jokes. Then watch as the Trans-Iowa Canal Co.™ West (our last best hope for comedy) takes on Babylon 5 (our last best hope for peace, not to mention quality SF) in: "BabbleCon 5: The Fall of Prohibition."
- Hall Costume Contest, various locations. Don your garb and wander… our "mystery judges" will find you.
DemiCon "After Dark"
- Dance and Pajama Party, Ballroom A, DAGOBAH DJ James Hoffman spins the tunes to dance and party.
"Theme Decks in Magic: The Gathering™," Merle Hay. A discussion of some of the more creative ways to build a Magic deck. Jerry BaronMiller, Paul Clites.
Art Show Tour. Take a walking tour of the art show, guided by some of those responsible. Keith Berdak, Erin McKee.
- "Understanding the Court Cards," Des Moines. A slide show and discussion of the court cards in Tarot. Jeannette Roth, Judy Zajec.
- "History and Moral Philosophy 101," Des Moines. What are the ethical and legal ramifications in a universe where transporters really exist? With Paul Clites, Mark Moore, Charles Piehl.
- *First Impressions: Algis Budrys," Ballroom A. A slide show and examination of the career of our Writer Guest of Honor. With Rusty Hevelin.
Reading: Jay Andrews and friends, Merle Hay.
- *Reading: Algis Budrys, Ballroom.
"Electronic and World Wide Web Publishing," Merle Hay. What's being done, how it's done, and what are the legal and ethical considerations of trying to do it? With Mark Hagerman, Brooks Peck, John Roach.
"Casting Heads," Des Moines. So… you always wanted to have a great alien head. The Abba & Harper costuming factory demonstrate the process. 2 hours. Demonstrated by Greg & Sally Abba, Bob & Sheryl Harper.
- *"The Art of Keith Berdak," Ballroom A. Our Artist Guest of Honor presents a slide show of his work. Keith Berdak.
Reading: M. S. Murdock, Merle Hay.
- "Editing as a Teaching Tool," Ballroom A. How can editors use criticism and advice to help budding authors? With Jay Andrews, Algis Budrys, Mickey Zucker Reichert.
Reading: Brooks Peck, Merle Hay.
Massage Workshop, Des Moines. The Dragon Lady shows us how to rub our fellow fhen the right way. Demonstrated by Myrna Logan.
- *"The Relevance of Classic SF in the '90s" Ballroom A. Many of the Golden Age science fiction stories took place in the latter half of the twentieth century. Now that we're almost to 2000, are these stories relevant to us, or are they just quaint tales? With Rob Chilson, M. S. Murdock, Otto & Ruth Sheller.
"How to get a head without rally trying," Merle Hay. A discussion of a myriad of topics about the movie and TV series, Highlander. Come prepared to meet three immortals from the local fan club, "Clan Immortal." Remember, this discussion takes place on holy ground! With Brian Huffman, Jane Lee, and Susan Price.
"Art in Other Genrés," Des Moines. What other genrés offer potential for the SF artist? With Keith Berdak, Ishtar, Lucy Synk.
Karate Demonstration, Lobby. Phil Dickey.
- "Science Fiction Meeting of the Minds," Ballroom A. A discussion between R. Daneel Olivaw (from the works of Isaac Asimov), Neamiah Scudder (Robert A. Heinlein), Donal Graeme (Gordon R. Dickson), and Ariane Emory (C. J. Cherryh) on just about anything they care to talk about. Moderated by Rusty Hevelin.
Reading: Mickey Zucker Reichert, Des Moines.
- *Guest of Honor Speeches, Ballroom A. Our Guests of Honor extoll their wisdom unto the masses. Algis Budrys, Keith Berdak, Otto & Ruth Sheller. Introductions by toastmaster Rusty Hevelin.
- Art Auction, Ballroom A. Here's your chance to take home some of the fabulous art that's been on display. Auctioneered by Rusty Hevelin, Lucy Synk.
- *Formal Costume Contest, Ballroom A. Come show off your finest creations. With additional entertainment provided by the Trans-Iowa Canal Company™ West.
DemiCon "After Dark"
- "Whose Con Is It Anyway?," Ballroom A. TICC East -vs- TICC West in the fhannish version of the British TV Show (as seen on Comedy Central). Improve into the night!
"Great Parties in Science Fiction and Fantasy," Merle Hay. We're having a great time, but what about the great literary parties? Can we get any pointers? With members of DAGOBAH.
- Drumming, Ballroom A. Share that primal urge to beat on something and dance.
"SF After Dark -- Sexuality in Science Fiction," Des Moines. How does sexuality play a part in Science Fiction. With Myrna Logan, Ted Poovey, Dee Willis.
- "Privacy in the Electronic Age," Ballroom A. With computers storing more about us than most would care to know, can we still have privacy? With Kat BarronMiller, Lee Brintle.
Writers' Workshop, Des Moines. Mickey Zucker Reichert's annual tete-a-tete for aspiring authors. Limited seating is still available. Check with the DemiCon Registration table.
- *"Win, Lose, or Draw," Ballroom A. Various artists attempt to convince the audience that the moos they just drew really suggests the movie, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Join the audience as they attempt to guess the titles. Moderated by members of DAGOBAH.
- "Religion and Philosophy on Babylon 5," Ballroom A. Why does religion, including human religion, play such a big part of Babylon 5, when so much other SF TV and movies ignore it entirely? With Jaime Adams, Jeremy Bement, Lori Patton, Lucy Synk.
- *Closing Ceremonies, Ballroom A.
Additional Events & Info
(For more information on these activities, or to sign up, see the friendly folks at the gaming registration/information desk, downstairs across from the elevators.)
- Gaming begins.
Minature painting contest begins.
- Ice Age Magic: The Gathering™.
- RPGA Master level tournament.
- Type 2 Magic: The Gathering™.
- RPGA feature (rd 1).
- Gaming auction
- Type 1 Magic: The Gathering™.
- RPGA feature (rd 2).
- Dragon Dice tournament.
- Gaming raffle.
Star Wars CCG tournament.
- Judging for miniature painting contest begins.
- Gaming ends.
(Presented in the Board Room -- right at the bottom of the stairs. During times not listed, the program will be viewer choice.)
- Laputa -- Castle in the Sky (subtitled)
- Macross Plus -- volumes 1 & 2 (dubbed)
- Ranma 1/2: One Grew Over the Kuno's Nest (dubbed)
- El Hazard -- volume 1 (dubbed)
- Be Forever Yamato (subtitled)
- Orgus 2 -- volume 1 (dubbed)
- Ogre Slayer -- volume 1 (dubbed)
- Macross Plus -- volume 3 & 4
- MS Gundam: Char's Counter Attack
[ The main DemiCon VII page in the DemiCon Info Archive. ]
This page created by: Kevin G. Austin